Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dinner: Butter Beans and Sardines with Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Breakfast was thought up the night before. Two eggs, black beans, and cheddar cheese. Admittedly it was a failed omelet, reincarnated as a sloppy scramble. Also, I was going to have salsa, but passed. Very unlike me. Salsa is probably my favorite condiment.

006

The eggs and beans quieted my stomach until lunch, and that hardly ever happens to me. The only other breakfast that keeps me full is greek yogurt.

Lunch was chicken salad made with chopped celery, walnuts, mayo, and coarse mustard. This was rolled up in a whole wheat tortilla along with some shredded cabbage, and eaten with pretzels and green peppers. I need to remember this one!

013

The outer wrap was kind of odd tasting, so I discarded it after eating about half of the first one. The rest was eaten like a cabbage slaw which was good with the chicken and walnuts!

I didn’t snack at all today, probably because I ate filling meals.

Dinner was supposed to be roasted brussels sprouts and seafood stuffed potatoes, but we didn’t have shrimp like I expected.

045

Plan B: The boyfriend had something else while the brussels roasted steadily, and I made a nice mash of butter beans and sardines. Good to remember for hurricane season, because of the cans, and also just tasty and pretty healthy. I love the Season brand skinless, boneless sardines, and recommend them highly to the uninitiated sardine eater. A few months ago I thought I had spotted a great deal on amazon for a flat of the lovelies, but once the delivery arrived I saw that they were still all bones and skin. The skin isn’t bad, but I take the bones out. Crunchy.

034

 My roasted Brussels sprouts:

  • preheat oven to 400
  • rinse brussels sprouts and cut in half
  • massage lightly in olive oil
  • place in glass pan with minced garlic (one or two cloves)
  • bake at 400 for 20 min
  • flip at 20 minutes (optional: add 1/2 tbsp pine nuts at halfway point)
  • cook another 20 minutes or until desired color

047

We prefer them almost burnt, and very garlicky. I usually roughly chop 2-3 cloves of garlic. Tonight I didn’t add pine nuts, it depends on what we are eating them with. I have heard that bacon is good, and lemon zest. 049

Now I am having an adult beverage.

 059jmoreau

No comments: