Saturday, January 30, 2010

Start of Mardi Gras

Ahhhh! Too much to do!

This will be short: Breakfast was an egg sandwich before class. Does it look small?053 It is deceptively crammed with one egg, an ounce of pepper jack, and an ounce of turkey.

058

For lunch we had leftover mujadarrah, which I stuffed into a roasted butternut squash half. It was a little tragic looking, so I skipped the picture. I also had one of these Planters Nut bars, which are really more like a payday. 064

While doing multiple errands, we put a slow cooking soup in the crock pot: split pea to be exact.

This evening was the start of the Mardi Gras parades in our neighborhood. It lasts for several weeks and culminates on Mardi Gras weekend for the Spanish Town Mardi Gras parade which is the biggest and best in Baton Rouge!

Even though it was very cold, we had to show good spirit and join the crowd. So we bundled up and met my friend Anne  a few streets down for the festivities. This was the Krewe of Jupiter. 002I have a hard time taking pictures at night with my camera, but I kind of let it go and just had fun. The night parades are mostly marching bands, small but elaborate floats, and dance troops from local schools.080 094

 

We had a lot of fun, and plan to do it again next weekend. Tomorrow is the Krewe of Mutts, which we usually miss. It’s a doggy parade, with costumed pets. One of the problems is it’s during the day, and it tends to fall on my mother’s birthday.

No comments: