Saturday, September 12, 2009

First Post

In the beginning...there was coffee!

Do you read to the beginning of every blog like me? I love first posts.
Today's breakfast was an unpictured bowl of oats (Silver Palate) with raisins and walnuts, also a huge cup of coffee.
Lunch was a bowl of leftover split pea soup and a grapefruit half.



Grapefruit is one of those foods that I only recently discovered that I like. And I really like it alot!
I made a sweet potato bread today. I've made it before. It's adapted from a recipe off of allrecipes. com. Original: sweet potato bread

Adapted:
  • 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • Also: add dates or raisins if desired
  1. Combine sugar, oil and applesauce; beat well. Add eggs and beat. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture alternately with water. Stir in sweet potatoes and chopped nuts.
  2. Pour batter into greased 9x5 inch loaf pan (or 2 small loaf pans). Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about one hour.
*Nutritional facts: The whole shebang is about 1055 calories. If you make one loaf and divide it into 12 pieces it'll run you about 87 calories per slice. This is for .5 cups of pecans. I did my calculations on www.thedailyplate.com.

(wet ingredients)
(dry ingredients)

(sweet potatoes)
If these loaves look a little small and flat, it's not your eyes! I was thinking about a zucchini bread recipe that I always have to divide into two loaf pans when I made this. Oops! Oh well.

It's a very rainy Louisiana day. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a bike ride in.
Today when grocery shopping I picked up some cotton running/soccer shorts on sale. Wahoo! Tomorrow I'm going to the parents' for brunch. We'll see if I get any pics in.

No comments: