Friday, September 18, 2009

Shrimp Skimpy

Note: Tonight's recipe is largely based on one I remembered from Kath Eats Real Food: here



Tonight I hemmed and hawed over what to eat. Should we clear out the bursting freezer? Or chip away at some canned goods? We have a few odds and ends in the fridge, but other than that, not much.
Originally I was going to make a shrimp stirfry using some frozen veggies, but at the last moment I changed my mind and threw some pasta into the pot. I'm glad I did, because it was heavenly.



Ingredients Used: whole wheat pasta, spinach, olive oil, a few shrimp, white wine (1/3 cup or less), a clove of garlic, white hard cheese (pecorino romano), red pepper flakes and Tony Chachere's. We usually use those small screw top bottles of wine for cooking. They're sold in little 4 packs. In case you are wondering, there are a few paper towels in my spinach bag to keep the spinach from getting that slimy wetness. I believe I picked up that tip from B+B. It helps with lettuce mixes too!Moving on...I cleaned and deveined some shrimp. We had about 6 left in the bag, so that will really clear out some freezer space. Or not.
Gulf coast shrimp -WILD!
Here they are in a cold bathHello handsome!
Shrimp with olive oil, garlic and sprinkled Tony's.
Grab a few handfuls of spinach and toss in the pan. When the pasta is finished cooking, add it as well as a bit of pasta water, plus a splash of white wine. Let the liquids cook off. Serve it topped with grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese.
My serving


His serving


Clean plates



**Notes**I was reading about shrimp scampi, and it should really have some lemon juice, and possibly some bread crumbs, but I like it this way just fine!



My cat/blog partner pretending not to eat my chocolate covered crack raisins.

No comments: