Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lentil Soup Redux

Breakfast: I started with the last of the cantaloupe. It was still fresh and firm. I also had Oikos 0% and Peanut Butter Puffins.
The Oikos I'm a little disappointed in. It's not as thick and mousse-like as Fage. Either I need to upgrade to 2% or stick to Fage when it's on sale. I'm going to try all the brands before I settle on one. The peanut butter puffins were addictive.

This might be my favorite breakfast combination: fruit, yogurt, and granola or cereal. Of course, I also love biscuits, grits and eggs, but I find that a lighter breakfast feels better on my stomach.
Snack: banana and clif bar
I worked out at 11:30. My sciatica was killing me today. Oy vey!

Lunch: a hefty serving of homemade lentil soup. It was even better today. It's such a colorful soup with the corn, tomatoes, carrots, and green onions. The andouille sausage I added was super tasty, and if I make this recipe again I will use a whole link. Unless, of course, I make it for vegetarians.The cheese on top was so good. It was a 6 cheese blend of Mozzarella, romano, fontina, provolone, asiago, and parmesan. I am definitely a delayed gratification eater. I save the best bits for last. This is not always the case, but I usually eat what I like in reverse order. I find it more satisfying.
If I get full before I can eat any more I save it for later. This doesn't happen as often as it did when I was a kid, but it does happen.
I was "known" as a child for refusing dessert just because I was full. I think what helped was my mother would save me a slice of pie or cake for the next day to eat, so I never felt like I was going to miss out, and thus shove unwanted cake in my face when I was in reality full. I had a better understanding of my fullness factor when I was a kid.
Afternoon snack: almonds

Dinner: I remembered the leftover rice, gravy, and roasted vegetables from the other day when I roasted chicken.
Still very very tasty. I also ate maybe half a cup of lentil soup.Expect to see another appearance (or two) of the lentil soup.

On Another Note:
Earlier this evening, when I was cleaning the kitchen, I reached into a spoon drawer when something jumped at me! It was a baby anole! Anoles are a type of lizard common in Louisiana and the southeastern states. Here he is in my 1/3 measuring cup, being transported outside. He was almost translucent, with big feet and big brown spots for eyes. I'm used to seeing green, brown, and a rare white anole.
He's so tiny!Sweet escape (this was a second before he leaped to freedom).I forgot to add - this was the first day of maybe fall weather we've had this year. It was under 80 degrees with very little humidity! The air was crisp and clear, and almost everyone had a spring in their step. It was exciting - I love fall and will take whatever I get.

No comments: