Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Surf 'n' Surf Burger

So for breakfast I tried something different - a breakfast cookie inspired by the fitnessista. For my base I used 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 1/8 cup of sweetened almond milk, 1 tablespoon of Jif peanut butter, and a dab of carnation instant breakfast. (She and most people use protein powder, so I felt like I should use something)For my add-ins I used shredded coconut, 2 crumbled walnuts, and a few chocolate chunks.If you've never heard of the breakfast cookie, here's what you do: you mash the uncooked oatmeal, peanut butter, protein powder (or carnation instant breakfast in my case), and almond milk (or any milk) together, then you mix in your desired add ins, like mashed banana, nuts, chocolate of any form, and dried fruit. Then you form the ingredients into a little cookie shape, usually on an appetizer plate, and refrigerate overnight. I knew I would be bringing mine to work so I flattened my cookie into a tupperware. Classy, I know.The next morning it was tasting time! Verdict: Two thumbs up! It was definitely more like eating dough than a baked cookie, but I didn't mind. Also, I used more oatmeal than her recipe, I think the fitnessista uses 1/3 of a cup, but I tend to eat 1/2 of a cup of oats, so I stuck with that.
In the future I will experiment with toppings and maybe get some protein powder, although I don't think I need it. Or do I?
Snack time was a veggie smorgasbord.with boyfriend's hummus+ a fruit stripLunch was leftover shells and cheese with broccoli and shrimp. It was tasty, although the romano was a tad rubbery.Later I had a pear and an unpictured Zbar.
Dinner was a surf and surf burger.
Here are the layers - 1st an Orowheat thin, spread with Laughing Cow creamy swiss, topped with grape tomato halves. Step 2: a salmon burger patty
Step 3: add shrimp!
Step 4: profit! enjoy
On the side I had Food Should Taste Good chips with salsa
I also drank what has become my favorite mocktail - a club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime.
Tasty!

No comments: