Friday, October 2, 2009

In Which I Burn Some Brussels

Yesterday I forgot my camera at home so I didn't get a picture of most of my eats! When I got home last night I made zucchini bread.
A friend gave me a Make Your Own Vanilla Extract kit last Christmas, which I used for the first time on this recipe. In the kit you get a bottle, and several nice vanilla beans. Split the beans lengthwise, place them in the bottle and fill with vodka, bourbon, or rum. It has to sit for a few months before use. You can refill several times using the same liquor. I used Vodka.
Moving on to today.
It has been one of those days. I woke up late, dreaming about work. Someone forgot to set the alarm (me)! Usually my cat comes in and screams at me to wake up and feed her. She was nowhere to be found this morning. I was planning a bigger breakfast, and more of a lunch, but that didn't happen. Also, my eyes are bloodshot and really dry today.
So breakfast was Oikos yogurt and honey, and no I didn't use that much honey! I recently bought a little jug of local honey, and it poured out quite quickly.Work coffee (I buy cheaper stuff for work than home - does anyone else do this?) and Zucchini Bread!
Around 10:30 I had a granny smith apple and an ounce of cheddar
This cheese is not very good. It is supposed to be a sharp cheddar, and instead it tastes like butter. Ugh. Of course I'm eating it anyway.
Lunch was a disaster. When I was running out the door this morning I grabbed a box of soup thinking I had enough at work to feed me. Well, turns out it was expired! After emailing a few loved ones on whether I should eat it or not, I decided not to.
I do have a really strong stomach, but the fact that it was Friday and the chance that food poisoning could ruin my weekend made me not eat it.
So instead I had a Campbell's Soup to Go - Chicken Noodleand half a pita.
Talk about disappointing. I bought these Campbell's soups on sale a while ago, but they are just not tasty when you're used to homemade or more premium soups. Plus their ingredient list was very long.
Oh well, bottom's upLater in the day I had some Peanut Butter Puffins to appease my hungry stomach.
And no, I did not just have 4 squares. These are the ones that escaped my mouth.
Dinner:
When I got home from a long hard day of work, I opened one of these:Meh. It was either their Brown Ale or the Pale Ale that I like better. [Word to the wise, if you visit their website, don't have your volume all the way up like me.] I only drank half, and moved on to water and kettle chips.For dinner, I decided on roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts, and a Morning Star Mushroom Lovers Burger.
The potato was just cut in pieces, tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper. Brussels are done a particular way. Cut them in half after washing.Dry or spin them.
Toss in olive oil (or spray) and one clove of minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Garnish with a tablespoon of pine nuts (or less)Sometimes I add the pine nuts in the middle of cooking so that they're less burnt. About 20-40 minutes later they're done.
The potatoesAnd Mushroom Burger with a square of feta to the left.
I had an Octoberfest with dinner. Yum!

No comments: